On Thursday 26th April 2018, and during the 48th graduation ceremony, His Royal Highness Prince Saud bin Nayef bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Province, congratulated the graduates of King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals and their families and wished them success in their professional life. The ceremony, which was held in the stadium, included the university graduates in the first semester, the expected graduates in the second semester, and the summer semester. The were a total number of 1404 graduates, including 1051 with a Bachelor’s degree, 293 with Master’s degree and 60 graduates with a PhD degree.
His Excellency Dr. Khaled Al Sultan, Rector of the University, expressed his delight at the graduation of the 48th batch and said "We congratulate the graduates for their achievement and being graduated from this distinguished university and for their all efforts to participate in the progress of our beloved homeland, which has provided and continues to offer them a lot of support and empowerment, to achieve the aspirations of our government under the leadership of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz and His Royal Highness Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, may Allah protect them. "
He said, "It is a great pleasure for us to express to you our great pride in your honorable sponsorship of this blessed occasion, which stresses your view in the importance of science, shows your interest to share the joy of graduates and their families, and your continued support to the University activities and its occasions”
The university has adopted excellence in all its work. Thanks to Allah, thanks to the continuous financial and moral support that the university received from our wise government. KFUPM utilizes this support through a clear strategy to increase its unique achievements in recent years.
Dr. Sultan pointed to some of the university's achievements:
· The University seeks to adopt the latest developments and the highest academic standards worldwide in the design and implementation of academic programs and in students’ care, rehabilitation and training.
· To achieve the Saudi Vision 2030 and in line with its ambitious aspirations, the University has provided initiatives based on its potential and accumulated capabilities in educational expertise, energy research & studies, petrochemicals, water and environment. Moreover, it seeks to expand the impact of the innovation and entrepreneurship system and develop nonprofit organizations and social programs.
· The University ranked seventh globally in patents granted by the US Patent Office, after achieving 183 patents in 2017, exceeding those of many prestigious international universities. The university invest in patents and sets up mechanisms for the development, licensing and marketing of technology. Investments include patents in heavy oil refining technology and highly polluted water treatment technology, in addition to ten technologies on its way to commercialization or licensing.
· KFUPM has integrated a system of innovation and creativity, through the development of the Business Center, to provide an interactive environment for university members with the business and engineering sector and to become a cultural landmark which reflects the role of the university’s leadership.
· In the second phase of Dhahran Techno Valley, the University expanded its attraction for advanced research and innovation centers of the world's largest energy, oil and gas companies.
· KFUPM has strengthened its strong relations with universities and international research centers, in addition to its strategic partnership with Saudi Aramco in particular, and has extended these partnerships to SABIC, telecommunications, electricity and other leading companies to support the educational process, research and for mutual benefit.
· The Fund to Support Research and Educational Programs (KFUPM Endowment), which is under the chairmanship of Your Royal Highness, has exceeded two billion riyals and has provided support to researchers, students, faculty members, academic departments and research centers. It is worth mentioning that among the graduates today there are those who have benefited from the programs supported by this fund.
· The College of Petroleum Engineering and Earth Sciences, established two years ago in partnership with Saudi Aramco, succeeded in attracting distinguished international professors and building research and strategic relations with international universities and centers to achieve its ambition to be among the top five colleges in the world.
· The University has increased its contributions in the areas of community outreach by activating the voluntary work system for the tenth successive year, as well as maintaining social interaction through the Scitech Center, and becoming the leading initiative in the development of non-profit organizations’ leaders.
· The University's professors, researchers and students received a large number of local and regional awards in various fields, which is further testimony of KFUPM’s distinguished professors and students.·
KFUPM is distinguished by its accredited academic programs both locally and internationally. KFUPM attracted the best 2% of secondary school graduates, succeeded in developing the university experience model which is based on providing students with knowledge, skills, values and behavior, and adopted contemporary technologies and international developments. The university too special interest in its graduates and launched the “Loyalty Plaque” initiative for families of five KFUPM graduates, in recognition of their trust in the university.
He also addressed the graduates, saying: "On behalf of this honorable ceremony and on behalf of KFUPM members, we would like to congratulate you on your graduation. We congratulate you on achieving your goal. We hope that you will raise the name of our homeland and contribute to its construction and achieve the vision of its leadership, and to continue your communication and loyalty to your university, where you spent a period of the most precious days of your life”.
It is a pleasure to salute your partners in this achievement, and who contribute to your arrival to these cherished moments. Sincerest congratulations to every mother and every father; you have made efforts and you have shown care and recited the prayer, and then you witness the product of your plantation. Further greetings to every professor and employee who provided our graduates with knowledge, experience and service and was a good role model in his behavior and cooperation.
"I assure you once again that all the achievements of the university were made possible with the help of Allah the Almighty, and then to the great material and moral support our wise government, led by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz and His Royal Highness Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, provides to education. The continuous support received by His Royal Highness Prince Saud bin Nayef bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Province and His Royal Highness Prince Ahmed bin Fahd bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, was a motivation to achieve our goals. H.E. Ahmed bin Mohammed Al-Issa, Minister of Education, greatly influenced the university's distinction and progress with his good guidance.
In conclusion, I would like to extend my greatest thanks and gratitude to your Royal Highness for honoring the graduation ceremony, your interest to honor your students and your encouragement and support to this university. I would like to thank our dear guests and congratulations to our graduates and pray to Almighty Allah to preserve our country's security, pride and safety.
Mr. Nasser bin Amas Al-Kader, on behalf of graduates, expressed his happiness and pride, congratulated his parents on this occasion and sent a message to his fellow graduates saying "After five years filled with memories and wonderful events, today is the moment of loyalty to our benevolent nation."
He then thanked the leadership for their support to science and education and the Governor of Eastern Province for his support. He also, thanked the Rector and faculty members for their efforts to deliver students to this day.